I am still learning the area, so I never was able to find a birthday party place here. And since we had a birthday party back in Houston before we left, I just thought we would lay low and celebrate as a family. BUT the girls had different plans. They REALLY wanted a birthday party, so they planned one ON THEIR OWN! Last Friday Isabella came home and told me that she invited some of the girls in her class to come to her house for an ice cream birthday party. ...WHAT?? you invited people?? oh boy, my house isn't ready for this...other people coming over and seeing my white 'institutional like' walls. But I could tell that they really wanted...and needed to celebrate with their school friends. 4 days before their birthday, I sent an email to the mom's of girls in their class inviting them to an ice cream birthday party...and luckily, most of the girls made it! But this is very different for me. I usually start planning at least a month out...making decorations, invitations, finding the right outfit to match the theme....but this year..a little different. No arts and craft time for me. Just a few days of hanging pictures on the wall, organizing the last of the unpacked boxes, and a full day of cleaning.
Oh, did I mention that the girls also wanted me to make cupcakes for their class too.. no going to HEB for these. No cupcakes are sold in stores here...and well frankly, not a whole lot-a cake mixes are sold here either. SO.. onto the internet I go, find a recipe for cupcakes AND icing....and get to baking! (oh, did I mention i MADE MY OWN Powdered sugar to boot??...impressed yet?)
So this is totally out of my comfort zone...me baking?!? but it all came together... I delivered 24 cupcakes to the "Maple Class" (there are only 18 kids, but the girls insisted that I make some for all of the kindergarten teachers too)
Luckily God was on my side about this party....because it has been raining and cold every day this week (a big change from the 104 Degrees we usually have for their birthday in Houston)... but on their birthday it was about 68 degrees and sunny...PERFECT weather! So I picked up some ice cream and topping for the kiddos, some wine spritzers and cheese for the mommies...and VOILA...a party happened!.And a really nice and relaxed one if I do say so myself...
then after the partying...we ended the birthday evening with a nice dinner out ...(which is a very rare thing here)
Happy Birthday Sweet Girls!


No comments:
Post a Comment