Thursday, November 26, 2015

a different world...

We finally made it to Barcelona and returned on Friday, 13th! Didn't know anything until waking up on the 14th to several text messages and facebook messages...while we were sleeping, a group of ISIS terrorists attacked 6 different locations in Paris and killed 130 people. Our friends and family never know what city we are in, so they were worried about us and called and messaged. Fortunately we were in Waterloo and home in bed. However, on Saturday morning our little country of Belgium would emerge onto the headlines around the world. You see, the attackers apparently lived in Brussels...25 mins from our little bubble town of Waterloo. So immediately the police raided the Muslim area/neighborhood and arrested several people whom they believed were involved in the attacks. The days following involved more raids around Belgium then one week after the attacks the terror level threat was raised to 4 out of 4 because apparently there was an specific threat of an attack on shopping centers and other large crowd areas. So the schools closed for 2 days, concerts and plays were cancelled and stores in Brussels shut down. Brussels was a standstill as they were looking for a few specific individuals. Just yesterday the schools and metros reopened with lots of police presence. But I kept you home. Daddy asked me to keep you home and let things settle on the first day back. So I did, and we put the Christmas tree up and had a playdate with another friend who was also home. As we speak I think the school is having a lock down drill practice with the students. My heart hurts that this is a real threat in your life. And I know that it's not just here, but it's everywhere. There have been many school shootings in the U.S. and I am scared to go back there because of the violence that exists in the US...but I know it's everywhere.
So I hope the world can find a way to become more peaceful and I'll continue to pray for peace.








No comments: